Granger Smith never expected to release an album at the end of the year.
But now, he’s sharing the soundtrack he wrote for his upcoming film, Moonrise, in which he’s set to make his acting debut when it premieres next month.
“I definitely didn’t expect to record an album this year (or at least in this way)!” Smith reflected as his album released on Friday (November 18). “Last holiday season when I accepted the lead role in the movie, I spoke with the director about a song mentioned prominently in the script called ‘Forever Forward’ among others. I said, ‘Can you send me this song, so I can learn it?’ and she replied, ‘Oh, we don’t have that yet, but we’ll find it!’ So, I decided the easiest thing to do would be to write the songs to fill in the gaps for the film. Before long, I had 12 brand new songs and a complete album. This was so different than any other process of music making that I’ve been involved in with, and I LOVED every minute of it.”
Smith’s wife, Amber Smith, gushed as she posted about the album on Friday: “When he began filming this movie, he didn’t know he would write an entire soundtrack, let alone in such a short time! He’s truly the hardest working man I know.”
Smith promised that new music would be “coming very soon” when he shared the Pure Flix film’s trailer on his social media channels earlier this week. The country artist and After MidNite host plays Will Brown, a country singer who loses his wife. After losing her, Brown’s “grief sidelines his career and pushes him away from his young daughter until a bright and talented horse trainer shows him strength, forgiveness and grace to live life again,” the film’s description reads. Moonrise is set to premiere on December 15.
- Never Been (Granger Smith, Ben Stennis, Brad Rempel, William Blake Bollinger)
- I Wanna (Steven Olsen, Corey Crowder, Granger Smith)
- Tailgate Church Pew (Granger Smith, John Marlin)
- Still Find You (Justin Wilson, Granger Smith, Andy Albert, Jordan Schmidt)
- Damn Guitar (Granger Smith)
- In This House (Thomas Marc Archer, Granger Smith, Matt Alderman, Mitchell Tenpenny)
- Broke In (Granger Smith, Jared Mullins, Cameron Montgomery)
- Something Is Changing (Granger Smith, John Marlin)
- Black Suit (Granger Smith, Dusty Saxton, John Marlin, Chris Lee)
- Something To Go On (Granger Smith, Rodney Clawson, Kyle Fishman, Justin Wilson)
- Forever Forward (Granger Smith, John Marlin)
- Moonrise (Andy Albert, Jordan Schmidt, Granger Smith, Justin Wilson)
Find Smith’s new 12-track album on iHeartRadio here. Listen to the title track here: