Jay Leno is continuing to recover from serious facial burns following a fiery freak accident at his Los Angeles garage over the weekend. The damage was reportedly so extensive, with the former talk show host suffering third-degree burns, that he may require skin grafts, per TMZ.
Fans were concerned over the weekend when Leno was forced to cancel a scheduled appearance after experiencing a "serious medical emergency" that kept him from traveling. TMZ later confirmed that the former Tonight Show host sustained burns to his hands and the left side of his face on Saturday (November 12) when a 115-year-old car he was working on expectedly burst into flames. He was taken to the Grossman Burn Center in Los Angeles, where he is expected to stay for up to 10 days.
While recovering at the center, Leno told the outlet that he was attempting to fix a clogged fuel line on a 1907 White Steam Car when a fuel leak sprayed gasoline on his hands and face. A spark ignited the fuel and triggered an explosion, causing the comedian to catch fire. Leno credits his friend Dave for saving him, praising his pal for his quick actions smothering the flames, which managed to avoid damaging his eyes and ears.
Following initial reports of the freak accident, Leno confirmed that he was OK after he "got some serious burns from a gasoline fire," adding that he needs "a week or two to get back on my feet." He has canceled all engagements for two weeks as he continues to recover.